Friday, November 20, 2009

On Baptism

I was recently asked about the difference between the Baptist and Presbyterian views of baptism. I wrote a series on this a couple of years ago, so I thought I would post briefly and point to it to make it easier to find. You can read the entire series here. However, you'll have to start at the bottom post and read the posts in reverse order. Read only the posts first, then if you want to read the comments, go back for those. The comments get really technical and will only confuse.

I also did a series answering the question "Why did you leave the Southern Baptist Church?". You can read that here.

To answer the baptism question briefly...

The real difference is this: Baptists do not believe their children are members of the covenant community, so they don't give them the sign. Presbyterians believe that they are members, so they do give them the sign. Who's right? Well, read the series linked above and you'll get my biblical argument for infant baptism and against the baptists.

Enjoy!

No comments: