Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A Response to Wellum

Under a post or two below, Blake White has interacted with my baptism series, suggesting I read Dr Stephen Wellum's "Baptism and the Relationship Between the Covenants". This has been recommended several times as the most effective critique of the covenantal infant baptism argument. I'm not in a position right now to offer a response to Wellum, but I would like to point you to a critique being published by my close friend, Jay Bennett. Jay has accepted a call to minister in the PCA in the St. Louis area and will be moving up there in the coming months. Without having read all of it (he's still getting to the meat of Wellum's argument), I am confident Jay's answer will be quite devastating to the Baptist critique of our view. Wellum's arguments are not new, but are only the usual arguments, well-crafted. I think you'll find Jay's style and substance quite persuasive.

As for my baptism series: I haven't forgotten about it. I'm working on the next post and hope to be done soon. I took the weekend off and haven't had a moment to get back to it yet. Part of it is a historical argument and I want to get my ducks in a row before publishing it. It's easier to do historical research poorly than just about anything else, and often with more devastating effects. Look for something in the next day or so.

No comments: