Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fathers and Brothers

I just returned Thursday from my first trip to the Presbyterian Church in America's General Assembly. This year's assembly was held in Memphis, TN and was pretty much everything I hoped it would be.

The week began with the two days of Westminster Confession for Today Conference. With speakers such as Carl Trueman and J. Ligon Duncan I was set for a great time. In the end, it was ok...not as good as I had hoped. Douglas Kelly was interesting, as was Carl Trueman. However, in the end I didn't feel like it had been the best use of my time.

I was able to hook up with a friend of mine from DTS, Jason Helopoulos, and spend the better part of the week. It was encouraging to see him again after several years. For a newb like myself at Assembly he offered great insight into the issues and the proceedings. I also got to spend a few hours with Clay Daniel, the RUF minister at Yale and another close friend of mine. In addition to Jason and Clay I was able to find a few other friends and make a bunch of new ones. All in all, a capital week!

Tuesday night was opening worship...very edifying. Wednesday afternoon was the discussion on the FV issue. I posted a blow by blow of the discussion and vote on my forum, Faith and Practice. Feel free to stop by and check it out.

Other than people and issues, I found a few good books and got to hear some bagpipes on top of it all. When you got church polity, friends, books, and bagpipes together in a single week..not much can go wrong (unless maybe the bagpipes just won't quit).

No comments: