Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Persistence of Time

Premise One: Time pervades all of my waking activities. Rarely, if ever (perhaps in the BVI, where "island time" is a reference to no time at all) is my day not structured according to the "when" of my daily activities. I've quit wearing a watch since I have a clock on my cell phone, on my laptop, in my car, in almost every room of my house, and on the wrist of most my friends. Some days I am even more concerned about the "when" than the "what." This is a reality and one which I am merely recognizing. However, it begs the question, if time has seeped into every nook and cranny of my life, should I not then seek to order it in a spiritually beneficial way? Humanity enjoys finding and celebrating cycles in life. We celebrate our birthdays, anniversaries, the seasons, graduations, weddings, and in a way, even death. What cycles do I find in my life and do they draw me into closer relationship with Christ or do they tend to disregard Christ and the new life that is mine (or better said, "ours")? I find that they tend to disregard. So I am proceeding in my study in the firm conviction that whatever my findings, I want to find a means of observing and organizing my time to reflect my confession of faith in the Triune God. Ideally the solution will lend itself to both private and corporate worship. Also lurking in the back of my mind is how I might apply the solution to my family on a daily basis.

Anyway, that is where I am in the process mentally. I'm also reading Ancient-Future Time by Robert Webber and Calendar by Laurence Stookey. It is difficult to take all of it in at once. If I were going to write a book (or could have one ready-made), I think the table of contents would look something like this:

Introduction: Why Observe Sacred Time?
I. The Christian Day
A. Biblical Basis
B. Theological Basis
C. Historical Basis (an appeal to tradition)
D. Practice
II. The Christian Week
A. Biblical Basis
B. Theological Basis: The Sabbath and Christian Time
C. Historical Basis (an appeal to tradition)
D. Practice
III. The Christian Year
A. Biblical Basis
B. Theological Basis
C. Historical Basis (an appeal to tradition)
D. Practice
Conclusion: Putting it all together
Appendix A: The Place of the Sacraments
Appendix B: A Family Affair
Appendix C: Theological Presuppositions

Let's use this TOC as a working model to guide our thinking. What are your suggestions?

No comments: