Thursday, August 24, 2006

Diving Lake Travis

Well I spent last Friday and Saturday diving with a group of friends in Lake Travis near Austin, TX. We managed to get 4 dives in over a little less than 24 hours. Visibility was only about 10 feet on average, but the deeper we went, the clearer it was. We had one night dive at the dam. I was following Dale at about 25 feet and we went over an underwater limestone cliff that dropped off immediately in front of us. We went spread eagle and more or less free fell into the dark. I turned off my light and watched Dale below me, silhouetted by his light and falling into nothingness before arriving at the bottom about 65 feet down. Experiences like that are quickly becoming one of my favorite things about diving. Saturday morning we dived off Windy Point and found a pecan grove standing in about 80 feet of water. We also found a pocket in the side of a limestone cliff about 55 feet down that we were able to fill with air and stand in and talk to one another. All in all it was a great trip and I look forward to our next outing. The picture above is the four of us at Windy Point after our last dive.

No comments: